5 New Hillsborough County Laws
A longer waiting period before firearm purchases. Regulations on bathhouses and massage parlors. Added restrictions on rave and dance halls, to include one-night and limited duration events.
These were among ordinances adopted or changed by the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners in 2018, along with measures regulating vehicles for hire and creating a Cultural Asset Commission.
All told, the Board passed 35 ordinances in the 12-month period. They address a wide range of topics. Here are five that stand out:
- Gun purchasers must wait five days between the sale and delivery of a firearm. There are exceptions to this upward revision of an existing ordinance, such as holders of concealed weapon permits. Other parts of the ordinance remain intact, including criminal background checks for some buyers.
- To discourage human trafficking, the County adopted an ordinance regulating massage and bathhouse businesses. Permits and inspections are required, and hours of operation are limited. The ordinance also requires owners, managers, and employees to complete a human trafficking and prostitution awareness course.
- Single-night and other temporary events at rave and dance halls now are subject to the same regulations as permanent businesses of a similar type. The short-term events also require County permits, and participants under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian after midnight. No one between 18 and 21 may be in a rave or dance hall after 3 a.m.
- Companies and drivers who provide vehicles for hire face more regulations. An ordinance passed by the Board in 2018 includes certificate and permit issuance mandates, and public vehicle driver's license requirements. The ordinance strengthens due process procedures if a certificate, permit, or license is denied, suspended, or revoked.
- The Board established the Cultural Asset Commission of Hillsborough County. It is an advisory panel intended to spur greater awareness of cultural assets, and to develop a sustainable way to pay for its efforts.