Nothing quite prepares you for the shock of a high water bill when you weren’t expecting it. Our computer system detects fluctuations in your meter readings, and we will notify you on your bill.
What can I do if my bill is higher than normal?
Take the following steps:
- Review recent usage habits to determine if there has been a change. Examples may include such things as new sod, a large number of visitors, etc.
- Call us to discuss your bill
- Since you are responsible for the maintenance of service lines within the property, take action as soon as possible, but no later than 14 days from the date of the water bill, to ensure that the lines are in good condition and all defects are fixed
- Request a leak adjustment
How can I lower my bill?
In the bathroom
- Check for a faulty toilet flapper/stop valve by adding a few drops of food dye into the tank and waiting about 15 minutes
- Get an ultra-low-flow toilet, which uses only 1.6 gallons per flush
- Save about 20 gallons of water by only filling the bathtub halfway
- Save between 15 to 30 gallons by reducing shower time by 5 minutes
- Install a low-flow showerhead
- Add a shutoff device at the showerhead to turn it off while lathering
- Turn off the sink while brushing your teeth or shaving
In the kitchen
- Hand-washing typically uses 16 gallons of water, compared to only 9.2 to 12.4 gallons for the dishwasher
- Avoid pre-rinsing dishes
- Only turn on the dishwasher when it is full
- Put a jug of water in the fridge instead of letting the water run until cold
In the laundry room
- Wash full loads
- Buy a high-efficiency model washer
In the yard and garden
- Adjust sprinkler heads so they are not watering sidewalks, driveways and roads.
- Replace broken sprinkler heads
- Only water when lawn or plants shows signs of needing it
- Set you mower blade higher during growing season since tall grass retains moisture better than short grass
- Install low-volume irrigation systems for plants where possible
- Plant native and drought-tolerant plants, bushes and flowers
- Install paths, decks/patios and other Florida-friendly landscaping to reduce the amount of lawn area that needs watering
- Utilize a water softener
What if my bill is much lower than normal?
While low bills are welcome, and expected if your usage habits have recently changed, this could also indicate that your meter is broken. If we determine the meter is no longer operational, we will replace the meter, but calculate your usage for the period it was broken based on average consumption.
- Pay Your Bill Online
- Irrigation calculator
- Water bill calculator
- Schedule of rates
- Request a leak adjustment
- Water restrictions
- Water Use Calculator
For more information on high consumption usage, please call the Public Utilities Customer Service Center at (813) 272-6680.