What to look for when hiring a contractorBefore hiring a professional, make sure the individual holds a valid contractor license and is insured to work in Hillsborough County. This protects you as a homeowner, property owner, or tenant, and also protects the contractor and assures that the work is done safely and completed according to all building code requirements. Search our database of contractors to see who is licensed to work here.
Work exempt from permitsWork that does not require a permit is typically cosmetic, such as:
- Floor coverings including carpet, vinyl, wood, and more.
- Cabinet Work
- Wall papering
For a detailed list, view Work Exempt from Permits.
*You do not need a permit for painting or tiling, but if you hire a contractor to do the work, they must have a license.
How to get a permitTo begin the process you will need the property folio number with legal description. The type of additional information you will need to provide is dependent upon the type of permit you are requesting. Please take a look at our checklist of the various permits and a detailed process of what is required and how to obtain each permit.
- After The Fact Permit
- Mobile Home for private property
- Re-roof Inspection Worksheet
- Residential Addition
- Single-family Residence/Duplex
- Swimming Pool Checklist
- Townhouse/Single-family Attached
Things to know about permits
- We don't require permits for low voltage projects within existing residential structures, but do require a permit for commercial and new residential structures
- Stand-alone permits such as roofing, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and any other permits not tied to a general building permit, expire after 180 days from the date of issue
- Warning Signs That Your Contractor May Not Be Licensed
- Owner Permit Requirements
- Applications & Forms
- Building Permit Fee Schedule & Calculations
- 140 MPH Wind Borne Debris Map Viewer
- Find my Flood Zone
We have two office locations you can visit to request and pick-up permits:
- County Center, 19th Floor, 601 E. Kennedy Blvd. in Tampa
- Southshore Regional Service Center, 410 30th Street, SE in Ruskin
For more information, contact Development Services at (813) 272-5600.