Game of SKATE Debuts at Providence Skate Park
Don't skate off into the sunset if you missed the first Best Shredder of the season, there's another challenge happening on Saturday, April 14 when the game of S-K-A-T-E debuts at Hillsborough County's Providence Skate Park, 5720 Providence Road in Riverview.
If you haven't heard of the game of S-K-A-T-E, here's what you need to know before you play:
- Similar to H-O-R-S-E in basketball, a game of S-K-A-T-E is played between two skaters.
- The order is decided by who wins rock-paper-scissors, with the winner setting the trick.
- The opponent must mimic the trick. The original skater will then have the opportunity to set another trick, and this will continue until the first skater fails to land a trick, or his opponent reaches S-K-A-T-E.
- When the skater not setting the tricks misses a trick, she/he receives a letter, continuing until a skater has the full S-K-A-T-E.
- Each set trick must be new to the game and not previously used by either skater.
- Skaters receive one attempt at mimicking the set trick, except for on their last letter attempt, they may receive two attempts at mimicking that trick.
The contest is one open division with no age categories. Multiple contests will take place simultaneously until the final best two skaters remain. They will play the final game. Prizes will be awarded.
Registration is from 10 a.m. to noon on the day of the event with the games beginning at 1 p.m.
Want more stories like this delivered to your inbox?
Subscribe to the Friday 5