Hillsborough County Water Restriction Updates
Beginning Monday, June 5, Hillsborough County residents will have one day a week to water their lawns, instead of two.
The Southwest Florida Water Management District has declared a Phase III Water Shortage to go in effect June 5, 2017, through August 1, 2017. These measures currently apply to all of Citrus, DeSoto, Hardee, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, and Sarasota counties; the portions of Charlotte, Highlands, Lake, Levy, Marion, Polk, and Sumter Counties that are within the District's jurisdiction, and Gasparilla Island (including the portion in Lee County) have some local exceptions.
Effective June 5, the new schedule for watering established lawns and landscaping in unincorporated Hillsborough County, as well as the City of Tampa, is:
- Addresses ending in 0 or 1 - Monday
- Addresses ending in 2 or 3 - Tuesday
- Addresses ending in 4 or 5 - Wednesday
- Addresses ending in 6 or 7 - Thursday
- Addresses ending in 8 or 9 - Friday
- Locations with no address (common areas) and locations with mixed addresses (such as office complexes and shopping centers) - Friday
All watering must be done before 8 a.m. or after 6 p.m., and only once on the designated day.
The restrictions apply to all residents and businesses - not just customers of public utilities - and most water sources. That includes private wells, and ponds or lakes that are used as alternate irrigation supplies. Reclaimed water customers are exempt from the water restrictions, although these customers are encouraged to use only what they need.
Hand Watering: Hand-watering and low-volume irrigation of plant material other than lawns or turf grass may be done on any day and at any time.
New Sod and Landscaping: New lawns and plants have a 60-day establishment period.
- On days 1-30, they may be watered any day of the week.
- During days 31-60, they may be watered approximately every other day.
- Even-numbered addresses may be watered on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.
- Odd-numbered addresses may be watered on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday.
- Car washing is limited to once-per-week on the designated watering day for the location.
- Commercial car washes, including mobile detailing businesses, may still operate on any day.
- Emergency and other first responder vehicles may still be washed on any day as needed.
- Fundraising events are prohibited unless they were scheduled prior to enactment of this order.
Other restrictions regarding decorative fountains, pressure washing, recreational use, and other water uses can be found here: HCFLGov.net/WaterRestrictions
For More Information
- For complete information on these and other water rules in unincorporated Hillsborough County, as well as links to information from the cities of Tampa, Plant City and Temple Terrace, visit HCFLGov.net/WaterRestrictions.
- For a recorded message about the restrictions, call (813) 275-7094.
- For other questions, call the Water Conservation Team at (813) 272-5977, ext. 43991, during regular business hours.