Posted April 27, 2017 | 9:23 AM
Stay Put, Save Money
Planning your summer vacation? Go local
Thinking about a summer trip? If you're looking for crystal-clear water, sandy beaches, and awesome activities, a savings-friendly staycation in Hillsborough County will leave you and your wallet feeling refreshed.
There's lots to do right here. Be a tourist in Hillsborough County and explore these local treasures:
- Lithia Springs Park - has a swimming area that's fed by a natural spring. The water is a cool 72 degrees throughout the year. There's also fishing, volleyball, a playground, and woodsy trails.
- Enjoy the Apollo Beach Preserve. Recently expanded with 11,000 cubic yards of sand, the waterfront park offers beachcombing, fishing, and sunbathing. And it's a great place to watch the sun set over Tampa Bay.
- Hillsborough County Parks & Recreation has a full slate of summertime activities, from line dancing to skateboarding to craft-making. Enjoy one of your favorite pursuits, or try something new.
- Plan your staycation in early July and attend the Fourth of July Parade in Brandon. This year's theme is "Through the Decades," celebrating the parade's 60th year. The grand marshal is John Noriega, son of the man who founded Bill's Prescription Center… 60 years ago.
- Hillsborough County libraries have activities and classes for all ages and many interests. Most of them take place indoors, where it's cool. Peruse the website for something that suits you and your family members.
Explore Hillsborough County Parks
- Exploring a river, a lake, or the bay is a great way to spend a summer day. The County has ramps for a variety of vessels, ranging from a kayak to an outboard-powered fishing boat. Click here to find your ramp.