Posted February 13, 2017 | 11:20 AM
5 Ways to Celebrate Black History Month
February is Black History Month. Check out these cool ways to celebrate right here in Hillsborough County
- Visit the Robert W. Saunders, Sr. Public Library, which has an extensive exhibit focused on Tampa Bay's African-American community, including contributions to business, entertainment and education. Get library location and hours.
- Go on a walking tour. Fred Hearns of the Robert W. Saunders Sr. Library Foundation will host the Burgert Brothers Walking Tour of Cental Avenue. On the tour you'll visit historic locations like the St. Peter Calver School and Perry Harvey Sr. Park. See schedule.
- Join a book discussion. Various titles will be discussed this month at Hillsborough County libraries. See schedule.
- Learn more about Bealsville, the community founded in the wake of the Civil War, in Plant City. The Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners celebrated Bealsville in 2015.
- Attend the Black Heritage Festival at the Oaks at Riverview Senior Center. The event takes place on Wednesday, Feb. 22 at noon. Check with your local senior center for more Black History Month events.