Hillsborough County Opens Emergency Shelters
Hillsborough County, Fla. (Oct. 6, 2016) – Beginning at 5 p.m. today, Hillsborough County will open seven shelters for residents whose homes are vulnerable to wind damage, as well as evacuees from other Florida counties who have been unable to find shelter elsewhere.
Persons staying in shelters must bring their own bedding, such as blankets, pillows, cots, mats, and sleeping bags. Food, snacks, and water will be provided.
The shelters are at:
- Burnett Middle School, 1010 N. Kingsway Road in Seffner (dogs and cats allowed)
- Strawberry Crest High School 4691 Gallagher Road in Dover
- Tomlin Middle School, 501 N. Wilson St. in Plant City
- Pizzo Elementary School, 11701 Bull Run Road in Tampa
- Brandon High School, 1101 Victoria St. in Brandon
- Riverview High School, 11311 Boyette Road in Riverview (special medical needs and general population)
- Summerfield Crossings Elementary, 11050 Fair Meadows Drive in Riverview
Only the shelter at Burnett Middle School will be able to accept dogs and cats. Owners must bring with them:
- proof of current license and vaccination
- an appropriate pet crate
- all food, bowls, medications, and other items needed by the pet
For more information, call the Hillsborough County Customer Service Center at (813) 272-5900.
See the County's Stay Safe page for more information.
Want more stories like this delivered to your inbox?
Subscribe to the Friday 5