In 1848, settler James Alderman built his homestead south of the Alafia River in Lithia. He fashioned a crossing by cutting down the steep banks of the river, creating Alderman’s Ford. In 1950, Hillsborough County purchased 360 acres of land that included Alderman’s Ford, officially establishing Alderman’s Ford Regional Park as one of the most popular parks in the County.
Now encompassing over 1,000 acres, Alderman’s Ford Regional Park is a hot spot for hikers and nature sightseers. The Ford Park Trail, a 1.9 mile loop, follows the north and south prongs of the Alafia River - one of the most popular canoe spots in the state. The loop, which is hiker, dog walker, and bicycle friendly, links with the boardwalk and foot bridges, leading into shaded woods of gigantic cypress and oak trees.
Campers can either set up their own individual sites or reserve a spot in a group site. Tourists can bird watch, fish, or conduct various nature studies through the lush woods. The park also includes barbecue grills, restrooms, recycling bins, kayak rentals, picnic shelters, an enclosed air-conditioned pavilion for large gatherings, and a main picnic area.
There are no announcements at this time.