Hillsborough County Public Works is making improvements at the intersection of Williams Road and S.R. 574 (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard) to increase traffic flow and improve safety.
The project will add dual northbound left turn lanes, a dedicated northbound right turn lane, and two dedicated southbound left turn lanes on Williams Road. The project will also provide traffic separators, pavement widening and resurfacing, drainage improvements, pedestrian safety features, sidewalks, bicycle lanes, and an upgraded traffic signal system.
What to Expect
- Temporary traffic lane closure and slowdown of traffic through the intersection.
- Construction will generally take place on weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- The work will involve heavy equipment and excavation, and will generate normal construction noise.
- Access to businesses will be maintained throughout construction.
- In some areas, traffic lane closures may be necessary. For the safety of the workers, pedestrians and other motorists, please observe all traffic control measures.
- Most construction will be in the right of way; however, at times it may be necessary to work on private property with prior approval. All areas affected by the construction will be restored.
- Excavation work can sometimes cause an accidental water pipeline break or similar problem. Should any water service interruption occur, instructions for a precautionary boil water notice will be issued.
Cost & Funding
The $5.3 million project is being funded through the Public Works Capital Improvement Transportation Program (CIT III – Transportation Trust Fund).
Construction began in September of 2016 and will be completed by January of 2018.
- Project Manager – Dana D. Mackey, P.E., Public Works Department, (813) 307-1783
- Contractor - David Nelson Construction Company
- After Hours Emergencies – (813) 272-5972