Hillsborough County Public Works is planning to start construction on the next segment of the Bruce B. Downs Boulevard Widening Project in New Tampa to increase traffic flow and improve safety. This segment of the project includes widening the 1.44 mile section of Bruce B. Downs Boulevard between Pebble Creek Boulevard and County Line Road from a 4-lane divided roadway to an 8-lane divided roadway. The project will also provide a landscaped median, drainage improvements, pedestrian safety features, sidewalks, a multi-use path, and an upgraded traffic signal system.
What to Expect
- Temporary traffic lane closure and slowdown of traffic through the work zone
- Extended alternating lane shifts will be used to facilitate new roadway lane construction
- Construction will generally take place on weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm
- Some work is expected at night or during off peak hours
- The work will involve heavy equipment and excavation, and will generate normal construction noise
- Access to businesses, schools, and communities will be maintained throughout construction
- In some areas, traffic lane closures may be necessary
- For the safety of the workers, pedestrians and other motorists, please observe all traffic control measures
- Most construction will be in the right of way; however, at times it may be necessary to work on private property with prior approval
- All areas affected by the construction will be restored
- Excavation work can sometimes cause an accidental water pipeline break or similar problem
- Should any water service interruption occur, instructions for a precautionary boil water notice will be issued by the City of Tampa
Cost & Funding
The $24.7 million project is being funded through the Public Works Capital Improvement Transportation Program and was awarded $5 million from the Transportation Regional Incentive Program (TRIP) by the Florida Department of Transportation.
- Construction is expected to begin in October 2016 and be completed by late 2018.
- Project Manager – David Vogel, Public Works Department, (813) 307-1792
- Construction Company – Prince Construction LLC
- After Hours Emergencies – (813) 272-5972
- A pre-construction Public Information Meeting is scheduled for 6:30 pm on Tuesday, October 18, 2016, at Wharton High School, 20150 Bruce B. Downs Blvd. in Tampa